God Invites Us to an Intimate Relationship
Why did you get married?
· Do household chores
· Provide for a family
· Cook meal
No! – Get married because we are in love.
Why did you become a Christian?
· Go to church every Sunday
· Read Bible every day
· Give money to the church
· Become Christians because we love Christ
Christanity is NOT
· Set of doctorines to believe
· Duties to perform
· Sins to avoid
· Rituals to practice
Christanity is a relationship
· Eternal life is knowing God
· Not a head knowledge about facts of God
· It is an intimate, growing, deepening relationship
Apostle John had this type of relationship
· Notice the relationship statements in each verse
· John 13:23-25
· John 19:26-27
· John 21:17
John often refered to himself in terms of his relationship with Jesus.
How would you describe your relationship with God
o Intimate and personal
o True friendship
o Broken relationship
o One whom Jesus loves
o Seldom talk
o Have little in common
o Beginning friendship
o Cold and stale
Throughout scripture God is presented as
· Someone who seeks relationship with people
· Abraham - His friend (Isaiah 41:8)
· Moses – Spoke face to face as one speak to a friend (Exodus 33:11)
What are you doing to enhance your love relationship with god?
Look at the scripture below.
· It is an invitation that God gave Joshua
· Underline the words/phrases that indicate relationship between two
5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. I will be with you, just as I was with Moses. I will not leave you or forsake you.
6 "Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. 7 Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. 8 This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. 9 Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Highlight the phrases that indicate what Joshua was told to do.
· What is the connection between Joshua’s relationship from God
· and his assignment for God?
· As Joshua obeyed and meditated on word
· God promised he would not leave
· Would give him success wherever he went
Primary goal is to maintain relationship with God.
God Calls Us to a Definite Choice
We often face choices in life
· Sometimes we do not know what we are to do
· However, sometimes we know God’s will
· And we are not sure it we want to follow it
God wants to give abundant life (John 10:10)
· But He will not forceHis best upon you
· To acctept what the Lord provide rather than Go’s offer is death
Look at the scripture below.
· What ate the two choices
· Two consequences
Deuteronomy 30:11-20: 11 "This command that I give you today is certainly not too difficult or beyond your reach. 12 It is not in heaven, so that you have to ask, 'Who will go up to heaven, get it for us, and proclaim it to us so that we may follow it?' 13 And it is not across the sea, so that you have to ask, 'Who will cross the sea, get it for us, and proclaim it to us so that we may follow it?' 14 But the message is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, so that you may follow it. 15 See, today I have set before you life and prosperity, death and adversity. 16 For I am commanding you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commands, statutes, and ordinances, so that you may live and multiply, and the LORD your God may bless you in the land you are entering to possess. 17 But if your heart turns away and you do not listen and you are led astray to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I tell you today that you will certainly perish and will not live long in the land you are entering to possess across the Jordan. 19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, 20 love the LORD your God, obey Him, and remain faithful to Him. For He is your life, and He will prolong your life in the land the LORD swore to give to your fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."
According to this scripture
· Not difficult or beyond our reach to know God’s will
When God speak we have two choices
· Follow Him
· Turn form Him
· If you do not protect your relationship it is easy to turn from Him
Your response to God can determine your quality of life
· Matthew 6:19-20
· Luke 12:16-21
What are you/we investing our time in
· Is it a wise investment of time?